The Ministry of AYUSH has released an advisory on Ayurveda’s immunity boosting measures for self care during the COVID-19 crisis. It says, in the wake of the Covid 19 outbreak, entire mankind across the globe is suffering. Enhancing the body’s natural defence system (immunity) plays an important role in maintaining optimum health
While there is no medicine for COVID-19 as of now, it will be good to take preventive measures which boost our immunity in these times. The simplicity of awareness about oneself and the harmony each individual can achieve by uplifting and maintaining his or her immunity is emphasized across Ayurveda’s classical scriptures, said the advisory.
Ministry of AYUSH has recommended the following self-care guidelines for preventive health measures and boosting immunity with special reference to respiratory health. These are supported by Ayurvedic literature and scientific publications:-
- Drink warm water throughout the day.
- Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama and meditation for at least 30 minutes as advised by Ministry.
- Spices like Haldi (Turmeric), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander) and Lahsun (Garlic) are recommended in cooking.
Ayurvedic Immunity Promoting Measures
- Take Chyavanprash 10gm (1tsf) in the morning. Diabetics should take sugar free Chyavanprash.
- Drink herbal tea / decoction (Kadha) made from Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini (Cinnamon), Kalimirch (Black pepper), Shunthi (Dry Ginger) and Munakka (Raisin) – once or twice a day. Add jaggery (natural sugar) and / or fresh lemon juice to your taste, if needed.
- Golden Milk- Half tea spoon Haldi (turmeric) powder in 150 ml hot milk – once or twice a day.
Simple Ayurvedic Procedures
- Nasal application – Apply sesame oil / coconut oil or Ghee in both the nostrils (Pratimarsh Nasya) in morning and evening.
- Oil pulling therapy- Take 1 table spoon sesame or coconut oil in mouth. Do not drink, Swish in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it off followed by warm water rinse. This can be done once or twice a day.
These measures are recommended by following eminent Vaidyas from across the Country as they may possibly boost an individual’s immunity against infections :-
- Padma Shri Vaidya P R Krishnakumar, Coimbatore
- Padma Bhushan Vaidya Devendra Triguna, Delhi
- Vaidya P M Varier, Kottakkal
- Vaidya Jayant Devpujari, Nagpur
- Vaidya Vinay Velankar, Thane
- Vaidya B S Prasad, Belgaum
- Padma Shri Vaidya Gurdeep Singh, Jamnagar
- Acharya Balkrishna ji, Haridwar
- Vaidya M S Baghel, Jaipur
- Vaidya R B Dwivedi, Hardoi UP
- Vaidya K N Dwivedi, Varanasi
- Vaidya Rakesh Sharma, Chandigarh
- Vaidya Abichal Chattopadhyay, Kolkata
- Vaidya Tanuja Nesari, Delhi
- Vaidya Sanjeev Sharma, Jaipur
- Vaidya Anup Thakar, Jamnagar
However, the advisory issued by the AYUSH Ministry also states a disclaimer that it does not claim to be treatment for COVID 19.
-India Legal Bureau