Sunday, April 14, 2024
154,225FansLike
654,155FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

PIL In SC Seeks Eviction of Shaheen Bagh Protestors Due To Coronavirus

A Public Interest Litigation (PIL) that seeks directions for immediate removal of the protestors at Shaheen Bagh in  the capital due to the threat from the Coronavirus was filed in the Supreme Court on Thursday.

The PIL was filed by Advocate Ashutosh Dubey. The protestors had said that they were taking the necessary precautions, and would be continuing their battle and that they had no plans to give up. They have refused to evacuate the site despite being told in no u8ncertain terms about the threat from the coronavirus pandemic. But the protest leaders say they have come up with “innovative measures to practice precaution”. The protesters have been agitating since December 15 last year over the amended Citizenship Act, NRC and NPR. On Tuesday, the Resident Welfare Association (RWA) members and Delhi Police had also talked to the Shaheen Bagh protests, urging them to call off their protest in wake of coronavirus outbreak, which has claimed three lives in the country so far.

The petitioner said that in  light of the virus,  the court issue a a writ of mandamus or any other appropriate writ/direction to the Respondents to immediately removal or dispersal of mass/ public gathering of protestors at Shaheen Bagh, Delhi or any other place at Delhi. Also directions be passed to the interlocutors already appointed  by the court to to discuss with the protestors and make them understand the risk which everyone is running in scenario and request for disbanding it for the time being.

Earlier this week, taking precautionary measures, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had announced that gatherings with more than 50 persons excluding weddings will not be allowed in the national capital, along with asking gyms, night clubs and spas to remain closed till March 31.

Multiple states across the country have taken up measures to contain the spread of the virus, including shutting down schools, universities, malls and other places where a large number of people can gather. Firms have also implemented work from home so as to not expose the employees to the virus.

The total number of Coronavirus cases rose to 180 till Thursday. Three people have been reported dead so far, with latest casualty reported from Maharashtra – the worst-hit state. The  virus has been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation with more than 8,000 deaths globally and over 2 lakh confirmed cases.

spot_img

News Update