Above: A scene of the Republic Day parade (file picture)/Photo: PIB
The US State Department has issued the following security advisory to all its residents in India.
Location: India, countrywide, but particularly affecting New Delhi and other major cities
Event: India is hosting the ASEAN Summit on January 25, 2018. Republic Day celebrations will occur on January 26, 2018. Beginning Thursday, January 18, 2018 and continuing through Friday, January 26, 2018, there will be an increased police presence, random traffic checks, road closures, and, due to airspace closure over New Delhi, domestic flight cancelations and international flight delays.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile. Avoid demonstrations and civil disturbances. Do not draw attention to yourself.
- Remain vigilant. Observe what is going on around you. Notify police if you notice anything suspicious.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Reschedule or avoid booking domestic flights that take off or land in New Delhi between 10:35 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. on January 18-26, 2018.
- Expect delays for any international flights taking off or landing in New Delhi between 10:35 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. on January 18-26, 2018.
- Avoid the following roads in New Delhi on January 25-26, 2018: Shanti Path, South Avenue, Teen Murti, Akbar Road, Mother Teresa Crescent, Vijay Chowk, Sardar Patel Marg, Kautilya Marg, Panchsheel Marg, and Safdarjung Road.
- The U.S. Embassy New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021; telephone: +91-11-2419-800; website: https://in.usembassy.gov.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051; telephone: +91-22-2672-4000.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is located at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006; telephone: +91-44-2857-4000.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is located at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone: +91-33-3984-2400.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad is located at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500003; telephone: +91-40-4033-8300.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and India Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- U.S. State Department – Consular Affairs; telephone: 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
—India Legal Bureau