The Madras High Court on Tuesday expressed grave concern on spreading of COVID-19 infection in jail and posed queries to the Government over the preventive measures and treatment facilities for inmates.
A habeas corpus petition was filed by a convict’s wife seeking for grant of four weeks leave to the convict for treatment of his ailing mother. Later on, the petitioner told the court that her husband has been infected with COVID-19.
The petitioner said before the court that not only the petitioner’s husband, but many other persons in Central Prison, Puzhal has been infected with Covid-19 and he has now been transferred to the prison in Cuddalore.
Acting upon the plea, the division bench comprising of Justice N. Kirubakaran & Justice R. Hemalatha, observed that it is a matter of grave concern. The bench directed the Additional Public Prosecutor to receive instruction from government on following query:-
- How many prisoners have been infected with Covid-19 in Central Prison, Puzhal?
- How many prisoners have been infected with Covid-19 in various prisons in various Districts?
- Whether those prisoners are being given proper treatment?
- How many prisoners infected with Covid-19 have so far recovered?
- Whether prisoners infected with Covid-19 need to be released for taking treatment outside the prison?
The High Court has directed to list the case for further hearing on 9th June, 2020.
-India Legal Bureau