Repair potholes at the earliest, says Bombay High Court

India Legal Bureau The Bombay High Court recently lambasted the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC). The court pulled it up for not filling potholes before the arrival of monsoon and asked BMC to make sure these are repaired quickly. While hearing a suo motu PIL on the rising potholes in the city, the court showed concern that these were leading to accidents and deaths of motorists. While placing its compliance report in the High Court, the BMC informed that 90 per cent of road repair and maintenance work in the city had been completed and the remaining 10 per cent would be finished before the onset of monsoon, this year. The BMC also apprised the court that two helpline numbers had been set up for citizens to call and lodge complaints, and a mobile App was also launched. According to sources, a number of PILs are filed against BMC every year. These relate to sewage, solid-waste management, potholes, banners and advertisements, as well as dumping yards. However, over the years, the municipal body has come up with innovative methods to resolve the complaints of Mumbaikars. BMC is the richest municipal corporation in India.