The Supreme Court has said that the ongoing trial in the 2017 Malayalam actor sexual assault case will be completed expeditiously.
A Bench comprising of Justice Dinesh Maheshwari and Justice Sanjay Kumar have expressed their hope while going through the report of the Trial Judge’s report on the progress of the Trial so far in line with the Court’s earlier directions.
It also directed the Trial Judge to send a further progress report regarding the Trial before May 8, the next date of hearing.
The order recorded that taking note of the report sent by the learned Trial Judge dealing with the trial and the overall circumstances, these matters stand deferred today, while expecting expeditious proceedings.
The order stated to list these matters on 08.05.2023. We would expect the learned Trial Judge to send further progress report before the next date.
The Court had refused to pass any order to interfere with the examination of witnesses in the ongoing trial before the Court at Ernakulam in February.
Prominent Malayalam actor Dileep, who is accused had taken objection to the move made by the prosecution to examine 41 additional witnesses shortly ahead of the January 31 deadline set for the trial.
He said that it was an attempt by the prosecution to protract the trial.
The senior counsel R Basant who appeared for the survivor submitted that Dileep can’t dictate which witness is relevant and should be examined before the trial court.