The Supreme Court has agreed to consider the petition on behalf of the Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind (JUH) and the All Assam Students Union (AASU) against the notification issued by the National Register of Citizenship Coordinator of Assam Hitesh Dev Sarma to delete the names of ineligible persons in the final list.
The Jamiat had moved the Supreme Court against the disputed notification last year. Hitesh Dev Sarma, while issuing the notification, asked all district registrars to take action against those persons who have been declared foreigners and devotors in the NRC lists and cases are pending before the tribunal.
In the petition filed in the court, it has been said that the previous State Coordinator also did the verification work again. Now, the names have been included in the list after a rigorous examination.
The Jamiat alleged that a new game of expelling Muslims through the NRC has started in Assam.
The bench of Chief Justice S.A. Bobde, Justices A.S. Bopanna and V. Ramasubramanian will consider whether whatever is being done in this regard is beyond any objective. However, the court has dismissed the contempt petition against Hitesh Dev Sarma.
The Supreme Court asked the Jamiat and AASU to amend the petition to challenge the notification issued on October 13, 2020 by the NRC Coordinator.
Meanwhile, Sarma had informed the Gauhati High Court that the list released last year is not final. The final list is yet to be released.
According to the affidavit filed in the High Court, it was told that the list released on August 31, 2019, contains about 4,700 names. In such a situation, that list should not be considered final.