Bar Council of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry has decided to provide financial assistance to the advocates in need in view of the lockdown due to COVID-19 pandemic outbreak.
Bar Council has opened a separate bank account for this purpose and has requested all the senior and other advocates to contribute fund so as to provide financial assistance to those who are in desperate need, and are unable to meet their daily needs like food, medicines, etc. Contribution may be made in this account:
Name of the Account: Bar Council of Tamilnadu and Puducherry (BCTNP) Advocates Relief Fund
Name of Bank: Indian Bank
Branch: Madras High Court
Account No.: 6873278505
IFSC Code: IDIB000M157
However, Bar Council has listed some conditions for extending benefits to the Advocates. Advocates seeking financial assistance should:
- be a real and active practitioner at the Bar;
- have passed AIBE;
- have submitted Certificate and Place of Practice application;
- not be receiving any monthly payment from the Advocates;
- not bearing monthly income of Rs. 15,000/-;
- be residing in rented accommodation;
- not have either immovable property or 4 wheeler;
- not be enrolled as an Advocate after retirement from any service;
Whereas, Bar Council said that the amount to be given will be decided depending upon the number of applications received and availability of the funds.
In its notice, Bar Council has requested advocates to seek assistance only if they are in dire need of it. Request for assistance may be made through email: email@example.com on or before 20th April, 2020.
-India Legal Bureau