The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday, on the recommendation of its Covid Committee, decided to hold hearings only through virtual mode from April 14, 2021 till further orders at principal seat at Kolkata and circuit benches at Jalpaiguri and Port Blair.
The Court modifies the earlier notification dated April 08, 2021 wherein a decision was taken to hold hearings via hybrid mode including both physical and virtual mode of hearings till April 30.
The High Court has passed the directions which will be effective from April 16, 2021 until further orders.
(1) All Court proceedings shall be in the virtual mode only. It shall be the option of the Hon’ble Judge concerned if court proceedings are to be done from the court or from his lordship’s chamber.
(2) The court timings shall be from 10.30 A.M to 01.15 P.M and from 02.00 to 03.00 P.M.
(3) All new filings should be accompanied by a brief list of dates, synopsis of the case with a copy of the impugned decision or action, not exceeding 2 pages. The Public Prosecutor and Additional Public prosecutors shall furnish synopsis of the case diary to the ACO through the Public Prosecutor office for placing before the court. In case, the bench concerned requires physical production of case diary, the PP may be directed to do the needful.
(4) The Registrar General/Registrar (Original Side) shall regulate staff attendance by rotation so that there is not more than 60% attendance on any day. The Registrar shall ensure that in this rotational system entire staff is assigned duties on rotational basis.
(5) The government shall be requested to complete the vaccination drive of the employees of the court at the earliest.
(6) All other notifications in force not contrary to the above shall remain in force.
(7) All the District Judges in the state shall regulate functioning of the courts on virtual or hybrid mode, regulating the attendance of the staff and the presence of the learned lawyers in such a way so as to take all precautions on account of increase in Covid cases. The matter for vaccination of the staff shall also be taken up with the local administration on priority basis.