The Union Government has constituted a special committee to recommend reforms in the criminal laws of the country. The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has formed a 5-member committee with Prof (Dr) Ranbir Singh, Vice Chancellor of the National Law University, Delhi, appointed to chair the committee.
The committee has been constituted to fulfil the following objectives:
- To suggest reforms in a principled, effective, and efficient manner
- To suggest reforms that ensure the safety and security of the individual,
- To ensure safety and security of the community and the nation;
- To prioritise the constitutional values of justice, dignity, and the inherent worth of the individual.
The Committee will undertake country-wide consultations with law enforcement agencies, prosecutors, judiciary, advocates, academics, and civil society including media organisations.
The Committee will have the following members, along with being assisted by a set of researchers and consultants.
- Prof (Dr)Ranbir Singh (Chairperson), Vice Chancellor, National Law University Delhi.
- Prof. (Dr.) G. S. Bajpai (Member & Convenor), Registrar, National Law University Delhi.
- Prof. (Dr.) Mrinal Satish (Member), Professor, National Law University Delhi.
- Mr.Mahesh Jethmalani (Member), Senior Advocate, Supreme Court of India.
- Mr. G. P. Thareja (Member), Former District & Session Judge, Delhi.
-India Legal Bureau